Thursday, April 2, 2009

Mundine-Pavlik in the works?

By Craig Watt

Controversial two-time WBA super-middleweight champion Anthony Mundine today told the Brisbane Times that a fight with WBO and WBC middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik is in the works should he win his May 27th fight in Brisbane with current unbeaten IBO champion Daniel Geale. The WBA#1 ranked middleweight stated, “After this fight I want to unify the division with Pavlik, Sturm and [IBF champion] Arthur Abraham, and at this stage it’s looking like there’s a good chance of something happening with Pavlik,” Mundine said. “The best thing is that it’s not Pavlik’s people pushing it - it’s HBO, the television network he’s with. They know who I am, they know that I’m a character, that I’ve got flamboyance and charisma and that I can fight. I just want the opportunity to show them that I’m the No.1 middleweight in the world.”

Mundine has stated this week that his fight with Geale will be his last on Australian soil, thus putting into doubt a future rematch with former WBA light-heavyweight champion and fellow Australian Danny Green which was being pencilled for a 40,000 crowd at the Subiaco Oval, Perth, later in 2009. Mundine is apparently keen to continue his career at 160 pounds rather than in the 175 pound light-heavyweight division for the immediate future.

No comments:

Post a Comment